Thursday, December 11, 2014

Five Star Review of THE DEVIL SMOKES DUNHILL

Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: THE DEVIL SMOKES DUNHILL: The (un)inspiring (satirical) story of a man's journey into the mad bad world of South Africa's Media Milieu (Kindle Edition)
I love Nick's narrative style of writing. It makes me feel so inclusive and part of the story.
I was first introduced to his books through my concerns relating to Reeva Steenkamps murder.. (see my review of his book Transcendence).

To date he has written 7 books relating to the issues surrounding the Oscar Pistorius trial so

there was a lot of reading and appreciating his energy, honesty and intelligent, well researched approach to the legal, moral, ethical issues surrounding the case. I learnt so much. In some of the books he was joined by Lisa Wilson who has such an impressive knowledge of the legal issues but interestingly it could be argued a tempering affect on Nicks content. A bit of a Lennon and McCartney partnership.

And then Nick was unleashed from Lisa and wrote The Devil Smokes Dunhill!!
I agree with previous reviewer. It is an amazing book, so witty, acerbic, insightful and thought provoking. Reading the book can be a hard read. I laughed, was angry, frustrated and at times sad.

On Nicks first day at work he was told by his boss, His Devil that he could not write.
This controlling belief was drawn upon at every opportunity both from his boss and from Nicks mind.

A similar tactic was used when I worked in the health care business and heard people describing some nurses as unprofessional. Such a subjective phrase but one used to say you are not behaving like me so therefore you must be unprofessional. Its controlling undermining bullying and can be deeply wounding.

Now the best bit. I saved reading the book until I took a trip on the train from Brighton to Cologne. Thought it would give me lots of time to think and reflect on the books content.
On the Eurostar train from London to Brussels I shared a carriage with a group of banking and insurance colleagues who had to attend a meeting in Lille.

When I reached the section describing The Devil I couldnt stop laughing. Some of the laughter was a nervous giggle thinking Oh No Nick you cannot say that to My God I wish I had the vocabulary to describe what a dreadful boss I once had.

I wont repeat any of Nicks descriptions of his boss His Devil. Dont want to spoil it for you.But it is so worth reading. One member of the group asked me what I was reading. My tablet was then passed around for everyone to read the section. The carriage came alive! Everyone was discussing their experiences and wondering if a certain person who worked with them could be described in a similar manner! It got very heated at times!

Now back to the review! Whilst the book is focused on Nicks Devil it gives you an interesting snapshot into the world of journalism.

On a negative point. I thought the ending stopped short or to keep to the train theme ...it seemed to run out of steam. Still an excellent and must read tho.
Finally, throughout the book I kept wondering if The Devil had read the book The Set Up to Fail Syndrome: How Good Managers Cause Great People to Fail Syndrome: by Jean-Francois Manzoni and Jean-Louis Barsoux.

Maybe she did and disregarded it because she thought the authors couldnt write!!!!

Read THE DEVIL SMOKES DUNHILL here.

No comments:

Post a Comment