Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Inspire yourself: Nick van der Leek’s top 10 tips for SA freelance journalists [GRUBSTREET]



A couple of weeks ago, a former colleague of mine emailed and suggested I do a post on tips for freelancers as she has moved back to SA (Knysna – if anyone is looking for a clever hack on the Garden Route, mail me!) and is trying out freelance journalism.
So I asked the most hard-working and successful freelancer I know, Nick van der Leek (who writes and is also a pix guy) if he’d share his experience and  advice with us… and they are excellent – motivating and practical!
To find out more about Nick and his wide-ranging work, please visit his website here and his portfolio of work on his blog here.
Nick van der Leek
Nick van der Leek
When I started freelancing I tried to enforce one basic rule. Which is to only write the stories that interest me, or that I am passionate about in some way.
I have learnt an incredible amount, often, just by letting curiosity drive the story.
Two projects that come to mind both started by asking a simple question.
Read the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment