Saturday, April 9, 2011

In Search of Tinus de Jongh’s Country


 TEXT AND PICTURES NICK VAN DER LEEK

A detour down a side road leads to the discovery of a secret gem of a dorp
 

"I’m stung by the fact that this is not going to be easy to find either."

It’s a cool and crisp morning in early December. I’m skidding away from a roadside cactus in full bloom, dripping with dew and rain from an unseasonal front. I’m in a hurry to get to Montagu to meet my artist brother, Casey van der Leek, driving through towering, Homeric landscapes. Approaching Montagu I enter settings our famous great-grandfather Tinus de Jongh painted almost a century earlier.

Read more.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nick, My Mother owns Tinus and a Gabriel de Jongh paintings.She would love to obtain a copy of the 1988 Calendar featuring the paintings. Do you know how she could go about this?
    Is it possible to get a copy of this "Country Life" April 2011 magazine?
    Look forward to your reply.
    Kind regards,
    Jane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. for a copy of the Country Life best contact the editor: nitah@dbn.caxton.co.za

      I doubt whether its possible to get a copy of the 1988 calendar, unless perhaps you had one scanned/copied. My brother Casey has an original, you could ask him ...pegasus@caseyvdleek.com

      Delete